Love Letter Book Sleeve Crochet Pattern &Tutorial
If you follow me on any social media, you know by now that crocheting and reading are my two favorite things to do.
I'm always trying to find bookish things to crochet and book sleeves are always an easy go to! They are perfect for keeping your books protected if you travel or read outside of your house and they look super cute!
As an avid romance reader, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make this love letter book sleeve! I'm sure you've seen similar ones online or on Pinterest, but this is just my version!
It pairs perfectly with my current read, Lovelight Farms by B.K. Borison. If you love romance, small towns, friends to lovers, and Christmas then this is the perfect book for you! I read this book for the first time last winter but it just got traditionally published and got a fancy new cover!
Let me know what book you are currently reading or what I should read next in the comments!
I will be including modified instructions towards the end of this pattern if you would like to make this pattern into a purse/bag instead! This was an idea from a lovely follower on instagram and I think it's so cute!
I hope you enjoy this pattern!
I have a YouTube tutorial for this book sleeve pattern! If you need further explanation of any part of this pattern, check it out!
Yarn I used/recommend!
Big Twist Value - Ivory (This is what I used)
Big Twist Living - Really Red (This is what I used)
Lion Brand Basic Stitch - Red Heather
*Disclaimer: I participate in the Amazon Affiliate program. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I may earn commission at no cost to you.
This pattern can be made however big or small you need it to be. It is super adaptable for smaller books, bigger books, paperbacks, hardcovers, and I'm even including extra instructions to make it into a super cute love letter purse!
What you will need:
Yarn: worsted/size 4/medium weight in:
white/ivory (or any color of your choosing!)
red (or any color of your choosing!)
Book of choice (for sizing)
Stitches & Abbreviations:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
tc = triple crochet
sl st = slip stitch
yo = yarn over
dec = decrease
Base of Book Sleeve:
*Note: the ch 2 at the beginning of each round does NOT count as a stitch
With yarn in the color of your choice, a 4.5mm crochet hook, and the book of your choice:
1. Chain slightly shorter than the book spine
2. Starting in the second chain from the hook, dc in each chain, 3dc in last chain
3. Working in the other side of foundation chain, repeat step 2. dc in each chain, 3dc in last. Sl st to join to first stitch.
4. You are now working in the round. Ch 2, dc in each stitch around.
5. Repeat till length of book
6. Sl st to join round. Fasten off & cut yarn.
7. Weave in any ends.
Top Flap (triangle):
1. Reattach yarn 3 stitches to the left of the center stitch on the side of the base of the book sleeve.
2. Chain 2, dc along half the book sleeve. Ch 2 and turn.
(*you need an even number of double crochets for this part)
3. Dc dec 2, dc until there is 4 stitches left, dc dec 2. Ch 2 and turn.
4. Dc dec, dc until 2 stitches left, dc dec. Ch 2 and turn.
5. Repeat the last two rows till can no longer decrease (you should have have 2 stitches left). Fasten off & cut yarn.
6. Weave in any ends.
Shell Stitch Border:
1. Reattach yarn on the right corner of triangle.
2. sl st along the edge of the triangle to create an even border. Cut yarn and Fasten off.
3. Reattach yarn with a sc to first sl st.
4. skip next stitch, 5dc into next stitch.
5. skip next stitch, sc into next stitch.
6. Repeat steps 3 & 4 around the triangles edge.
7. Sl st into same stitch you did you last sc in. Fasten off & cut yarn.
8. Weave in any ends.
With yarn color of your choice and a 4.5 mm crochet hook:
1. Magic ring, ch 2
In magic ring:
3tc, 3dc, ch 1, 3dc, 3tc, ch 2, Sl st to join. Fasten off & cut yarn.
With a tapestry needle:
1. Attach the heart to the middle of the triangle flap.
There are two ways you could attach the button.
1. with a tapestry needle, attach the button to the back of where you attached the heart.
How it works: Just slip the button in between two of the dc stitches on the base of the book sleeve to fasten when using.
1. At the point of the triangle, under the shell stitch, re-attach your first yarn color.
2. Chain 10
3. Sl st back into the same stitch on point of the triangle. Fasten off. 4. With a tapestry needle, attach the button to the base of the book sleeve.
How it works: To fasten, slip the loop of chains over the button.
Optional: How to Make it into a purse
A lovely follower had the great idea of making the love letter book sleeve into a purse! Here is how I would recommend doing that:
1. Along the left side edge, reattach yarn four stitches to the right of the triangle flap edge.
2. chain 2, dc in same stitch and the next 3 stitches.
3 Repeat step 2 until strap is desired length.
4. Line up strap edge with opposite edge of book sleeve.
5. insert hook through stitch on strap and on book sleeve and sl st through both stitches.
6. repeat 5 till all 4 stitches of the strap are attached to the book sleeve.
7. Fasten off & cut yarn.
optional: sl st along both edges of the strap to give a cleaner look
optional: add a lining inside the bag to protect the bag and your items inside. Here's a super helpful beginner friendly tutorial I found to help you line your bag if you choose to:
Your final book sleeve should look something like this!
If you make your own book sleeve, be sure to tag me in your finished product on social media! They are all linked down below but it is @purlsandtopknots on all of them!
If you have any questions feel free to comment them down below or reach out to me on social media.
Please do not copy or sell patterns I have designed for a commercial gain.
I do give permission to sell completed items you create using my patterns. Please give me, @purlsandtopknots, credit for designing the patterns.